Uber.com breathed into life by Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp was established in 2009. It took off in the city of San Francisco, California in the States. This is one peer to peer establishment that has taken the world by storm. As at the last count, it was already in 58 countries and 536 cities and still counting. Uber is worth more than 50 billion dollars in value and has employed thousands of people.
Table of Content
- 1 Introducing Uber
- 2 All you Need to Know about Uber
- 3 HOW TO SIGN UP AND USE UBER.COM
- 4 How to Contact Uber Customer Service?
- 5 Uber Vs Lyft
- 6 The Other Side of Uber
- 7 Uber Self-Driving Cars
- 8 Uber Top Countries and Cities
All you Need to Know about Uber
Uber.com is a ride-hailing service that centers its operations on a software application simply called UBER. The Uber app is available for free download on Apple app store, Android’s Google Playstore and on Microsoft for Windows devices. In a moment I will come to how to go about its installation and use.
How are Uber Earnings Calculated?
How is earning calculated with Uber.com? In places where gridlocks are a common occurrence the cost is placed more on the distance covered rather than the time spent while in free roads time is of the essence when calculating the amount incurred.
How are the fares calculated? It is a combination of time spent and distance covered.
The company removes a dollar from the amount paid for each trip then afterward 80% of the amount made is for the driver while the remaining 20% goes to the rider(customer).
For a trip of 50 dollars for instance, after subtracting a dollar to give 49 dollars, 80% of this amount which becomes 39 dollars 20 cents goes to the driver while the rest 20%, 9 dollars 80 cents becomes Uber’s net income.
It is a fair bargain for all parties involved. There is no financial transaction between the driver and rider as payments are made through the application online. How are the fares calculated? It is a combination of time spent and distance covered.
Nonetheless, the rider is allowed to tip the driver if he so deems fit which is not a part of the Uber app – it is embedded in that of LYFT application – another behemoth in the peer to peer transport industry.
It is not out of place to think payments are done solely through debit and credit cards, as it turns out it is a misconception because the firm allows cash payments in some countries such as in Nigeria and India in addition to the option of using the debit and credit cards.
Uber Vs Local Taxis
In some regions using Uber is cheaper than traditional taxis but in some other places even the cheapest offering of Uber is way costlier – I can give you real-life instances if you want by leaving a comment.
There have been protests here and there about usurpation from the point of view of traditional cab drivers, I think it is one of the reasons that Uber.com allows taxi drivers to be incorporated into its own system.
Generally, there is this confidence and assurance with riders. That is, customers say they enjoy with the service of Uber added to the fact that every day and any hour no matter how odd the time the service is available.
Want to be an Uber Driver?
For those who want to work for/with Uber.com as drivers, there are some salient points to put into consideration as outlined;
1. There are checks and clearances prospective drivers have to pass through and pass well. You have to have had no criminal records in the last seven years. You could have been a criminal but not as early as seven years ago.
2. Also you need a car – a four-door car that has to be as recent as a 2001 (in some cases 2006) model and has to be a good car not one that is rickety or a jalopy. Aside these, all your vehicle documents need to be in order including a driving license. It is not just a paper thing as you will be tested hands-on.
3. For persons with no car there is the option of lease in which case there will be regular deductions from your earnings. I see this arrangement as something only practically applicable to those who want to work full time with Uber.com.
4. You would also need to have a smart-phone as a prospective driver. Riders, as in, customers can manage to book for appointments using m.uber.com. After creating an account of course.
5. The minimum age requirement is 18. I for one had the initial impression that the least age was 21 only to discover I was mistaking Lyft’s policy for Uber’s in this respect.
6. Intending drivers have to be aware that all expenses on the vehicle are solely the responsibility of the owner. So the owner fuels the car, pays for any form of maintenance needed such as fixing of tires and keeping the vehicle tidy.
7. That aside, even though this is becoming quite inconsequential due to the day and age we are in technologically, drivers must be able to operate a smartphone and own one – Uber.com does in some cases provide phones for drivers who do not at the moment possess one.
8. As all of Uber operations are app-enabled, your data subscription must always be good and active added to having a strong network coverage particularly at the times you sign up for work at a given period of the day that you have agreed upon. You can’t be having someone needing your service and it turns out to be a no-show.
Intending drivers have to be aware that all expenses on the vehicle are solely the responsibility of the owner
Is there any form of Insurance?
A one million dollar secondary insurance is provided by Uber that covers the driver when he(not as though the drivers are males only) is actually in transit with a passenger. So all your car insurance papers must be in order as that is the primary and most important.
If you were on your way to the rider and was this close to this client and a tragedy occurs, Uber.com insurance will not cover for such cases.
Even at the fact that your passenger has embarked before the unwanted happens such as an accident happens, the working out of this secondary insurance got a lot of real life bottlenecks that are in no way light encumbrances.
Driver – Rider Relationship & Uber Ratings
Are you hot-blooded or get easily offended? If your response is in the affirmative then you might have to work on your temperament through therapy or a rehabilitation centre before applying to drive for Uber.com.
In the world of Uber not even the customer is king – something I will broach on in a moment – not to mention the driver. The methodology of the operations of Uber is such that the rating of the driver is literally everything.
He is rated on a scale of 1 to 5. While scoring 4 out of 5 in an academic setting is an impressive feat, in the world of Uber it simply means you are losing your job. Your minimum rating should be in the region of 4.6.
To dampen your worries though, it takes up to 500 of your last trips before this becomes a deciding factor, not as though cases of reported acts of misdemeanor will not get you fired earlier.
Chivalry is the rule of the game so whatever it takes please do not piss off your client so that you do not get a ‘negative’ rating.
Uber.com rating is as important as the customer not getting a hitch next time until he does the needful, that is, rating his last driver.
The driver in turn also gets to rate the rider a bad rating also could relieve the rider of the services of Uber. Recall I mentioned earlier that the customer is not king here.
HOW TO SIGN UP AND USE UBER.COM
Now that we have seen what it takes to be a driver and also a rider. Let’s take some steps further on how to pragmatically be signed up to the program avoiding all that first-timer errors.
Start out by downloading the Uber app freely available on Google Play store, Apple app store and Microsoft for Windows devices, just type in “Uber”in search icon and the app will pop up just before you know it, look at the screen you will see the install option, do well to tap it and wait for some minutes for the installation to be complete after which you click on “open” this time, just like that it becomes a part of the applications in your menu.
Download Uber App for your various devices below;
Download Uber App for Android
Download Uber App for iOS
Download Uber for Windows Phone
Even if you have not totally convinced yourself that you want to be a driver or rider, you could still install it for trial purposes or familiarization.
Register for Uber in these 5 Simple Steps
1. Head over to Uber.com or Launch the Uber App from your Mobile Device
2. Sign up by adding your functional email, phone number, your first and last names, and a password of your choice which you can easily recall but is safe enough for guessers not to feast on.
3. Now, proceed to sign up by adding your functional email, phone number, your first and last names, and a password of your choice which you can easily recall but is safe enough for guessers not to feast on.
4. When you are done with these first stages, a text is immediately sent to the phone number you entered, with a code, in my own case it was a four digit number.
After the input of the code, you are given unfettered access to the mobile app. In the mobile app, you can now hitch a ride whenever you want to – not so fast though you have to complete the next stage also.You also get an email confirmatory message prior to this.
5. The next step is to register your payment/account details as expected you are required to input your card number and the other necessary details to set it up. When it is done rightly you will receive a text confirming the verification.
Note that if you live in a city where the Uber services are not available you cannot go further than the steps above, in other words, no magic will make your riding in a Uber vehicle a reality.
When it is done rightly you will receive a text confirming the verification. Note that if you live in a city where the Uber services are not available you cannot go further than the steps above, in other words, no magic will make your riding in a Uber vehicle a reality.
How to Cancel Uber Trips
To cancel a trip before you are matched as a customer to a driver, at the bottom of your device screen, press and hold the X icon alternatively tap the white info bar then tap cancel, confirm it, to finalize the whole cancellation process.
To cancel a trip after the driver is already on his way, check out his info at the bottom of the phone screen you will see the cancel option, just tap it.
In the event you have already embarked on on the trip and then have a change of plans you can disembark just let the driver know – you will be paying nonetheless. The term ETA stands for Expected Time of Arrival.
In case you are having issues say with the pick location or waited too long you can speak with the driver meant for you by getting his contact at driver info section at the bottom of your smartphone screen.
Does Uber permit me to ride with a friend?
The service is not a one person at a time type, so you and your friends can hitch a ride in one same car as much as the car accommodates. You and your friends can even share the bill as far as you guys have agreed on it before the start of the trip but you will be charged a fractional fee extra for this.
Getting Free Ride on Uber.com
As a user you can also earn free rides by inviting your friends, the more invites you turn the free rides you enjoy. This offer spans up to three months and that is more than good enough.
Don’t get carried away in spreading the word on commercial sites as you definitely will be called to order. You are allowed to use your own platforms such as Facebook and Google+.
How to Delete your Uber Account
You have to understand that deleting your Uber account means all your records with Uber will be wiped out on your end, don’t get it messed up, Uber.com will still be with your record for as long as they like. It will be as though you never used Uber.
It is way different from signing out. If you still want to go on with cutting it out, then go to the Uber app and navigate to the help section, click on it and then on it, sign in, fill in the required fields and you are literally good to go.
How to Contact Uber Customer Service?
It could be frustrating that you need an Uber Customer Service to lay your complaints and could not find the right phone number or the right channel to do that.
In this section, I’ll be showing you 4 different ways you can contact Uber.com customer service agents or the Uber support center;
1.. Uber Phone Number: There is so much controversies concerning the availability of Uber Phone Number, Uber had tried as much as possible to make it difficult to get the phone number of its customer service department, instead it tried to restrict the support means to email and support portal.
The only Uber Phone number we are able to lay our hands is Uber customer service’s emergency phone number:
And it is Clearly stated on uber.com that if you have any security or emergency issue, you should call 911 or any emergency phone number of your country, or immediately contact the police.
It is when you are out of this emergency that you can contact the Uber phone number above to assist you further;
If you require immediate police or medical attention, please call 911. Once all parties are out of harm’s way, and the necessary authorities have been contacted, please dial the number below to speak with an Uber representative.
However, it’ll be of a great help if you can get the Phone number (s) of your local Uber support center, so you can have a quicker means to contact the Uber.com Support service.
2. Uber Support Portal: The Uber online support portal is the self-help portal where you can find frequently asked questions and answers.
To access the online help portal, simply navigate to help.uber.com, here you can find basic questions like how to reset your Uber account password and other basic questions.
This Customer service portal is available to both drivers and riders of uber.com. To get a more personalized platform, simply log in to help.uber.com with your Uber login details.
3. Uber App: This is the easiest way to reach Uber.com Customer Service, you can contact Uber either as a driver or as a passenger. The below steps will guide you on how to contact Uber customer service with the Uber App;
Contact Uber as a Rider:
- Click on the App menu at Top Left pf the screen
- Click Help from the Menu options
- You have the option to chose Last Trip, if the issue you’re reporting is related to your last trip.
- Or you can select any other issue from the options available. Ensure you pick a topic related to what you ae reporting to get a better response from the Uber support team.
Contact Uber as a Driver
If you are an Uber.com Driver and you have an issue to report, then your Uber driver app is your easiest way to get any complaints over.
Follow these steps to send a complain to the Uber Customer Support Team;
- Open your Uber Partner App and click Account
- Click on Help from the available menu that come up
- Choose a topic related to your complaint, write your complaint and Submit.
4. Uber Local Offices: Uber.com have Customer Service office in various locations of the Globe, all you need to do is look for one that is nearest to you and you can head over to give whatever complain you might have.
Uber Vs Lyft
I want to beam the focus more on Lyft.com since it is the other elephant in the room. Funny thing is both companies are located in the same city of San Francisco.
Lyft.com was founded in 2012 by John Zimmer and Logan Green. In terms of coverage and usage it is second only to Uber.It is now valued at five and a half billion US dollars.
Uber and Lyft have many features in common, it will be of more interest to take a look at where they differ.
The minimum age requirement for a Lyft.com driver is 21 years as opposed to the 18 years cutoff of Uber.com.
Lyft encourages active communication and discourse between driver and rider up to the point of putting more details of drivers on their profiles such that a rider could even possibly pick out a driver of his choice if he is available and they could go on to play and do a sing-along of songs they both like while in transit. Uber does not permit this camaraderie and revealing of personal data up to that level.
Lyft started out with an ideology of embarking on long distant trips, as in intercity journeys. Uber is more renowned for short distant trips, and Lyft is following suit.
For Lyft.com, that one million US dollar is a primary insurance cover arrangement. In comparison, the fares of Lyft are higher than those of Uber.
In addition, Lyft collects up to 25 percent of revenue for drivers that newly became part of the system. It charges lesser for drivers that have been with them earlier. While for Uber it peaks at 20 percent.
Lyft.com is known for matching riders going in same direction, more like ridesharing or the way traditional taxis operate. Uber hardly does this.
The investment partners of Lyft include General Motors (GM), Alibaba, Billionaire Andreessen Horowitz, Didi Kuaidi and Carl Icahn.The company is yet to really branch out and have a footing outside Uncle Sam. Uber’s investment partners include Baidu, Google, Toyota, Airtel India, and is a worldwide entity.
The Other Side of Uber
It is easy to think that Uber is just a tech savvy company interested solely in ride-hailing/ride sharing services.
There is UberEATS that is primarily focused on delivering fast foods from eateries to customers.
Also it is beaming its light on air transport, trying to become an ‘air taxi’ company in no distant time.
This was why it was carrying out its geographical mapping in the United Kingdom with the aim of developing small helicopter kind of vehicles, more technically referred to as Vertical Take-off and handing vehicles that will transport customers.
This will be a hit in cities and urban centers that are usually congested and associated with traffic gridlock.
Uber Self-Driving Cars
Another idea Uber.com is investing its time and resources in is self-driving cars. The company is already doing its tests on the roads in San Francisco.
I must mention here that a lot of other companies including Tesla are into self-driving cars. This is a ‘now’ technology now a futuristic idea.
Now the onus is on government, to build its roads or make the necessary adjustments needed for these vehicles, this is to include legislations also.
When this self-driving car thing moves from its inchoate stage to a full fledge on-the-roads tech then drivers would no longer be needed. While it will be a loss for drivers it will lead to big gains for Uber and other peer to peer ride sharing and hailing firms.
Uber is even into ferrying people across water bodies, though it is at a transient stage and won’t be as popular the road transport system since there are less of water-bodies linking lands.
Uber Top Countries and Cities
Finally, I’ll like to point out that Uber has been doing wonderfully well in some countries and cities than others. And according to Uber.com, below are the company’s top Cities and countries;
Uber Top Countries
Uber Top Cities
Do you have any questions relating to Uber? Join the conversation by dropping your comment below…